Religious Exploration at Shoreline UU
During the COVID-19 pandemic, Shoreline UU Church has had to completely revamp it’s children and youth programming. There are many different ways for children and parents to get to know our community and learn about Unitarian Universalism together — here are our regular offerings:
- All-ages children’s church sessions -- most Sundays from 10-10:30am. Kids of any age gather to light a chalice, have a sharing circle, sing a song, hear a story, and have a short discussion or activity afterward.
- chUUrchcraft: SUUC’s Minecraft club -- every other Sunday from 12:30-1:30pm. Children and youth come together on our private Minecraft server to do fun group activities to help us explore our faith. Among the activities we’ve done so far are building a giant chalice and replica of one of our church buildings, scavenger hunts, and creating a virtual altar for lost loved ones.
- Youth Group -- every other Sunday from 6-7:30pm. High school youth gather for a game or spiritual practice, an in-depth check-in, and “The Protein,” a substantial discussion with an ethical or spiritual dimension, usually based off a video we all watch together in the session.
- Parent Happy Hour -- every other Thursday at 8pm. Parents come together to connect / reconnect with each other, sustain meaningful community, and support each other through these difficult times. Sometimes there’s a structured discussion, though often it’s just a time for check-in followed by open ended conversation around whatever is coming up for people that week.
- Family Game Night -- once a month, different times. Just what it sounds like — a time to just have fun and laugh with each other as we play games like Skribbl, Among Us, Broken Picture Phone, Scattergories, and more.
- Church in a Box -- On the first Sunday of each month, people who opt in to this program come to pick up a box from the church with a packet of stories, activities, arts and crafts, and ways to practice our faith personally and in community. Uncommon supplies for activities and snacks are provided.